Judith Kerr Primary School uses the Read Write Inc. reading scheme.
Read Write Inc. is a method of learning letter sounds and phonics, and we use it at Judith Kerr Primary School to aid children in their development of the English language.
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
Using Read Write Inc. the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can out all their energy into comprehending what they will read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using Read Write to read the children will:
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts;
- learn to read words using ‘Fred talk’;
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out; and
- show that they can comprehend the stories by answering questions.
For more information, including videos, please visit the Read Write Inc. website.
To support your child further with reading and phonics learning, try these websites:
- http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/ParentsMenu.htm (a collection of free phonics games);
- http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/ (a collection of free ebooks).