At Judith Kerr Primary School we provide all children with an inclusive, broad and balanced education.
Our Curriculum Intent:
At Judith Kerr Primary School, all pupils are immersed in a creative curriculum, rich in language and learning experiences which promote high levels of pupil engagement and achievement.
We are committed to providing each child with specialist teaching of German language and culture in a diverse, multi-lingual environment.
Judith Kerr Primary is firmly rooted in strong moral values; developing each child’s potential, helping them to flourish, equipping all children with a love for learning that will last them for life We have high aspirations and expectations for all pupils; personalising the support provided to develop each child’s confidence, self-esteem and individual talents.
We have compiled a detailed curriculum policy which will enable you to access how teaching and learning takes place at Judith Kerr Primary School in all subject areas.
Our curriculum overviews for the 2019-20 school year are here:
How is our curriculum implemented and what is the impact?
Our children acquire rich vocabulary, knowledge and skills in all subjects, in a creative, text-led approach. Our curriculum newsletters below, showcase the creative learning that the children do in half-termly topics and the overarching learning question that they have centred their learning around.
At Judith Kerr Primary, we follow National Curriculum guidance and ensure that this underpins all curriculum design and provision. We further enrich our curriculum through exciting learning experiences, additional language provision, workshops and trips.
In primary schools, learning is organised into three phases:
- Early Years Foundation Stage: (Age 4 and 5 – Reception);
- Key Stage 1: Ages 5 – 7 (Years 1 and 2);
- Key Stage 2: Ages 7 – 11 (Years 3 – 6).
At Early Years Foundation Stage, the subjects that the pupils study are:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development;
- Language and Communication;
- Physical Development;
- Physical Development;
- Understanding of the World; and
- Expressive Arts and Design
At Key Stages 1 and 2, the pupils study:
- Modern Languages (German);
- Religious Education (RE);
- Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education (PSHCE);
- Physical Education (PE);
- Art and Design;
- Design and Technology;
- Geography; and
All these subject areas are taught in a cross-curricular, creative approach.
Each topic is led by a recommended text and either has a history or geography focus.
Special Educational Needs
Our Special Educational Needs support helps those with general learning difficulties. We welcome children of all abilities and needs. Our curriculum and teaching are flexible and inclusive:
- to support pupils with special and additional educational needs or disabilities;
- in response to the variety of language backgrounds and levels with which pupils will enter our school; and
- to stretch gifted and talented pupils.
Our dedicated language specialists will provide extra tuition to pupils that need further support in either school language.